Detail on access to PPE for social care providers, personal assistants and unpaid/family carers can be found here.


Unpaid/family carers

If you are an unpaid/family carer and think you require PPE due to your caring role, you should contact your local carers centre who will advise on how to access supplies locally, where the routes they normally use to access it are unavailable.

A list of local carers centres and young carer services can be found here. If the local carers centre is unavailable, you should call the Social Care PPE Support Centre on 0300 303 3020 for information.

The Scottish Government has published advice for unpaid carers who visit or live with a friend or family member to provide help with personal care such as washing or dressing. The advice details the situations in which unpaid carers may require PPE.


Personal Assistants

If you are a Personal Assistant, you should contact the NHS National Services Scotland Social Care PPE Support Centre on 0300 303 3020, and the team there will point them towards their local Hub.

Further advice for Personal Assistants which details the situations in which PAs may require PPE can be found here.

A Personal Assistant will need to have a document stating that they are a Personal Assistant, when they go to collect the PPE from the Hub, or have it delivered. You can download our Personal Assistant Identification Letter here.

This could also take the form of the template document used as proof of key worker status (for movement and for shopping, etc). PAs may ask their employer; local SiRD; the PA Network; SPAEN; or their local authority/ Health and Social Care Partnership for support in obtaining this document.

Local Hubs will also be in touch with providers, Personal Assistants and unpaid carers to let them know how to contact them. However, this may take some time, so in the meantime, the NHS National Services Scotland Social Care PPE Support Centre is helping out by taking calls on behalf of the Hubs.