ILF logo

ILF Scotland Northern Ireland Stakeholder Group Meeting Minutes May 2021 Easy Read PDF version

Type of document: Minutes of recipient/stakeholder groups

Read the document

Published: May 31, 2021

Independent Living Fund Scotland

Northern Ireland Stakeholder Group Meeting Minutes

Tuesday 11 May 2021

Easy Read

The meeting happened on Tuesday 11 May 2021 from 11.30am to 3pm.

The meeting happened on Zoom.

Who was at this meeting?

Permanent Members

David McDonald
Kieran McCarthy
Collette Jones
Frances McHugh
Niqi Rainey

Affiliate Members

Amanda Paul
Bryan Myles

From Independent Living Fund Scotland

Peter Scott
Harvey Tilley
Linda Scott
Lee House
Liam Hargan

Who could not come?

Permanent Members

Caroline Wheeler
Valerie McCarthy

4 Actions from this meeting

  1. Lee will add the charter for involvement to the next meeting agenda.
  2. Lee will email the Easy Read draft documents to all the Stakeholder Group.
  3. Lee will email the Stakeholder Group to see:
    • if they are happy to have their email address in group emails
    • if they still want to be in the Stakeholder Group
  4. Lee will send out a Doodle poll to set up a July or August meeting. This meeting will be about the Your Responsibilities guide.

1. Welcome and Introductions

David welcomed everyone. He asked if everyone was okay with the meeting being recorded, to help with writing the Minutes afterwards. Everyone agreed.

2. The Minutes of the last Meeting

Everyone agreed the Minutes were fine. Alannah will put them on the website.

Action Points from the last meeting

Action 1. Liam will tell the Trusts about unpaid carers getting the COVID-19 vaccination.

This has been done.

Action 2. Linda will ask for more information about unpaid carers getting the COVID-19 vaccination quickly.

This has been done.

Action 3. Lee will send out feedback from the recipient survey.

This has been done.

In this document ‘recipient’ means someone who is given money by the Independent Living Fund Scotland.

Action 4. Lee will send out the Terms of Reference documents.

This still needs to be done.

3. Any other things we need to talk about

There were no other things to talk about.

4. Unpaid carers getting the vaccine

Linda said that unpaid carers are number 6 on the priority list for getting their vaccines in Northern Ireland.

They should soon get their vaccines.

The Independent Living Fund Scotland has shared information from:

  • the Scottish Government
  • the Department of Health in Northern Ireland

5. The plan to open the fund again in Northern Ireland

Harvey said that the Department of Health in Northern Ireland is looking at how to find the money if they decided to open the fund again.

He will tell the Group when he has more news.

6. Available Income Policy Updates

Linda said that a draft Policy 4 called Available Income has been written. The changes in it should happen at the same time as the Northern Ireland fund opening.

7. Updates about other policies

Linda said that in Scotland people getting ILF funding will now only need to pay 43 pounds towards their support instead of 83 pounds. This starts on 1 June 2021.

Some policies:

  • can now be taken away
  • can be made shorter
  • can be joined with other policies

8. Update about the Charter for involvement

Linda thanked David, Niqi and Caroline for their hard work on the Charter Action Plan.

The Charter Action Plan has been agreed and added to the website. It lists the things that the Independent Living Fund Scotland will do. It will be part of every Stakeholder Group meeting now.

9. Staff Away Day

David took part in the staff away day. He gave a talk about his experience of the COVID-19 pandemic.

10. Department of Health Advance Care Planning Policy

The Department of Health in Northern Ireland is writing a new policy called the Advance Care Planning Policy.

It will help people to think about:

  • what matters to them
    • what they might want to happen if they become very ill
    • planning ahead for their future

David will invite someone from this policy team to come to a Stakeholder Group meeting.

11. Care and Support Plans

The members talked about how important care and support plans are. They talked about writing a model plan to help:

  • recipients in Northern Ireland
  • new award managers

Liam and other members said they will share good examples.

12. Terms of Reference

David asked everyone to look at the final draft of the Terms of Reference. One word was changed and everyone agreed the final draft.

13. Choosing a new Chairperson and a new Vice Chairperson

All the members voted to keep David McDonald as the Chairperson.

They agreed that he can finish when he wants to. All the members voted to keep Kieran McCarthy as the Vice Chairperson.

14. Any other business

Everyone talked about sharing their email addresses on group emails.

They will send an email to say:

  • if they are happy for their email address to show
  • if they want to carry on being part of this Group

Caroline Kelly has been given a Belfast Telegraph Award. Everyone clapped.

15. Date of the next meeting

The next meeting will be on Tuesday 10 August 2021.

The meeting will be from 11am to 1pm.

This is the end of the Minutes.

chevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram Skip to content