Free information events for professionals supporting people who are terminally ill
Social Security Scotland is fast-tracking benefit applications for people who are terminally ill. The aim is to provide support for people as quickly as possible.
The Scottish Government agency is running free information events for professionals working with potential benefit applicants. It points out that the Scottish definition of terminal illness is now different from the definition used by the UK Government.
When are the events?
These free events will take place online on 3 May 2023 and on 11 May 2023.
You can book places through Eventbrite. The meetings will be hosted on Microsoft Teams video conferencing. (You can access Teams’ meetings through a web browser. No software downloads are needed.)
Who are the events for?
This event may be of interest to:
- health and social care professionals, including those responsible for organising and planning end of life and palliative care for individuals who have a terminal illness
- primary care professionals, including GPs, practice managers and practice nursing staff
- acute care specialist nurses, palliative and end of life care practitioners
- hospice welfare support staff
- welfare rights advisors
- third sector organisations and
- anyone supporting individuals with a terminal illness
What will be covered in the events?
- an update on Benefits Assessment Under Special Rules in Scotland (BASRiS) form
- the process for claiming fee payment for BASRiS completion
- the whitelist approval process
- dedicated client advisors
- Chief Medical Officer (CMO) guidance
- escalation and feedback routes
Find out more
You can find out more about this on the Social Security Scotland website.