ILF logo

Useful links

  1. Home
  2. |
  3. Transition Fund
  4. |
  5. Useful links

Free bus travel

If you are under 22 years old and living in Scotland, you are eligible for free nationwide bus travel. Find out more at

Video transcript:

"Bus travel in Scotland is now free for all children and young people under 22 with a National Entitlement Card. That’s good for your pocket, good for the planet and it could open doors to, well, just about anywhere. So go on, free yourself. Find out how to apply and more at"

16-25 railcards

If you're aged 16-25 or are studying full time, you can get 1/3 off all train travel for just £30 a year. Visit the ScotRail website for more details.

Young Scot National Entitlement Card

The Young Scot National Entitlement Card (NEC) is free of charge to 11-to-26-year-olds living in Scotland. Use it for money off the things you love, exclusive Rewards, Proof-of-Age and much more. Find out more at

Family Fund grants

Family Fund - the largest UK grant-giving charity for families raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young adult - is calling for families in Scotland to apply for a grant. Our blog gives more information.

Advocacy - someone to speak on your behalf

Everyone has the right to get support from another person to help express their views and wishes (for example, at a healthcare appointment). This person is called an advocate. Our blog gives more information on advocacy services.

Announcements from the Scottish Government

21 million free bus trips for Scotland’s under 22s

With over 21 million free journeys having been made since January 2022, the Scottish Government has launched a new marketing campaign, encouraging more people under the age of 22 to take up free bus travel. (20 September 2022). Read more on the Transport Scotland website.

16,000 workplace opportunities secured through Young Person's Guarantee

More than 16,000 young people across Scotland have been offered workplace opportunities through the Young Person’s Guarantee. (28 July 2022). Read more on the Scottish Government website.

Increase in number of grants given to young carers

The number of people successfully applying for the Young Carer Grant has risen in the last year. A total of 2,490 applications were approved in 2021-22, up 200 from the previous year. (28 June 2022). Read more on the Scottish Government website.

Young people urged to apply for Job Start Payment

Eligible 16-24 year olds who are already receiving certain other benefits or tax credits are being encouraged to apply for Job Start Payment - a one-off payment worth £267.65, or £428.25 if the applicant has children. (22 June 2022). Read more on the Scottish Government website.

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.


View key documents on our publications page.
chevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram Skip to content